In 1921, the British administration in Malaysia erected this cenotaph to honour the memory of those who died in World War 1. Originally, the cenotaph was erected near the Kuala Lumpur Railway Station but was moved to its current location at the Lake Gardens near the Tugu Negara (National Monument) in 1966.
The 15m high pillar was dismantled in catalogued parts and reassembled to its original form at the upper entrance of the Tugu Negara on a dais. It was then they added the names of those from World War 2 and the Malayan Emergency. Also added on the monument is the writing ‘To our glorious dead’
This cenotaph is one of the many cenotaphs erected by the British all around major town in Malaysia is order to commemorate the fallen heroes. Among others are the ones in Ipoh, Taiping and Penang.